One of the lingering myths of modern life says that poinsettias are poisonous when accidentally ingested, but the Society of American Florists says, NOT!!
Consider their sources:
The American Medical Association Handbook of Poisonous and
Injurious Plants says the poinsettia has been found to produce either no effect (orally or topically) or occasional cases of vomiting.
Also, the “Poisindex” Information Service, used by the majority of the poison control centers across the country, states that a 50-pound child would have to ingest one and one-quarter pounds of poinsettia bracts (that’s 500 to 600 bracts) to surpass experimental doses. At those levels, there was NO toxicity.
Naturally, poinsettias are not intended to be eaten, so it’s possible that someone who did accidentally eat a part of a plant might experience discomfort — but nothing more.
So, go ahead — fill your home and office with gloriously beautiful poinsettias! And this season, once and for all, let’s put to rest the myth of the poisonous poinsettia!