If you have read our houseplant light guide then you may now know that you have low light conditions. Don’t worry though! While artificial lighting is an option to use a wider variety of houseplants, you can also choose from plants that tolerate lower light areas without the need for supplemental lighting.
Note: Houseplants grown in low light areas will grow slower & need water less frequently than those in brighter light areas.
- Peace Lily – Popular and frequently purchased houseplant that is low in care.
- ZZ Plant – One of the hardiest plants – it will tolerate low light and needs infrequent watering. Low light may produce a taller leggier plant instead of a shorter bushy plant
- Snake Plant/Sansevieria – Available in a wide variety different sizes and variegation – Sansevieria are very low care plants.
- Neanthe Bella/Parlor Palms – These Palms are more tolerant of low light conditions compared to other Palms that require brighter light areas.
- Heartleaf Philodendron – A vining plant that has low care. They will grow more vining and long in lower light areas.
- Lucky Bamboo – Actually a variety of Dracaena that is very low care. You can buy them in single stems or grown into interesting shapes.
- Chinese Evergreen/Aglaonema – Available in a variety of colors – the traditional green variety does the best in lower light. It may grow taller vs bushier when given low light.
- Cast Iron Plant – There is a green variety and a variegated variety called ‘Milky Way’. Both varieties tolerate low care and low light.
- Nerve Plant – A good choice for terrariums – this is a smaller low growing plant.
Have questions about other plants light requirements? Just reach out and our greenhouse team will be happy to help you!