Your garden has likely been producing full swing this last month. Here are some tips as your garden continues to produce or even stop producing…
- If your tomato plants were determinate (producing all in the same 2-3 weeks) and have stopped producing with signs of late blight, pull them from the garden and throw them away. Do NOT compost these.
- Remove any other plants that have finished for the season.
- Start thinking of your fall garden as you can begin sowing seeds soon for cool season plants such as lettuce, spinach, beets, kale, cabbage, broccoli, & carrots. Purchase seeds if you do not already have them. We will have starter plants beginning in late August through mid-September.
- Harvest herbs such as Basil, Rosemary, Oregano, Thyme, & Sage. Basil is best harvested before flowering though you can also dry flowers and use them, as well. Read more on how to keep your harvested herbs longer here.
- Have some veggies that are too big to use? Compost them! Never composted before? Read more on composting here.
- If you have ready compost on hand, use it to fill in and amend spots in the garden where you have removed finished plants.
- Keep and eye on melons such as watermelon and cantaloupe as the time to harvest is here or approaching soon.